Good morning! The magic of Christmas is officially in the air. As we all know, the holidays are filled with lots of sweet treats and indulgences. Treating yourself a bit goes with the territory this time of year. However, you still need a few healthy meals like this Red Wine Marinara Sauce Recipe to keep the engines full steam ahead!
Scott and I were in the mood for a little variety for dinner on Saturday night. We have been eating through our produce and fresh foods since we are headed to NJ today. Our lonely spaghetti squash was sitting on the counter begging to be eaten. I decided to grab a few ingredients that we had on hand to create a Red Wine Marinara Sauce Recipe.
Red Wine Marinara Sauce Recipe
- ½ of an organic zucchini (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup purple onion (diced)
- 28 oz. can tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Organic)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons Kerrygold butter
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup red wine (I used Merlot)
- Cut up the zucchini and purple onion and put to the side.
- Melt the butter on low heat in a pot over the stove.
- Add the garlic, dried parsley and cayenne and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the can of chopped tomatoes. Continue to keep the pot on low flame. Monitor and stir frequently.
- Measure the wine and add to the pot.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve!
Dinner is Served
We enjoyed our dinner with the spaghetti squash, the red wine marinara sauce and ground chicken from the farmers market.
It turned out to be delicious! I thought it would be a good recipe to share this week for a quick meal one night. You can modify by adding your choice of protein. You can also use spaghetti squash or a more traditional pasta if that is your preference. I do not really eat whole wheat or white pasta, however, I do like brown rice or quinoa pasta on occasion.
I am off to fit in a workout, get to the post office and square away a few more items before we head out to the airport. Have a great day and let me know if you give the Red Wine Marinara Sauce Recipe a go!
Question of the Day: Do you ever cook with red wine? I do not always think of including it, but I am always amazed at the flavor it adds!
Did you know I do Health Coaching? Please feel free to check out my page to learn more.
Find me in these places!
E-mail — firstname.lastname@example.org
Twitter — BikiniExp
Facebook — The Bikini Experiment
Pinterest — The Bikini Experiment
Instagram — The Bikini Experiment
YouTube — The Bikini Experiment