Holy banana bread! Your favorite bread or muffin that’s packed with protein and not simply a punch of carbs? I am not sure who started baking with protein powder, but it obviously caught on like wild fire. Hands flew up with abandon as people were obviously ready to jump all over this tasty bandwagon.
Protein Banana Bread
Baking with Protein Powder
Since protein powder has a very similar consistency to flour it is only natural that it would serve as an easy and healthy substitute.
I used rice protein in this recipe and I think it works its magic with the bananas to create a delicious banana bread. Read on to get the details because I think you are going to love it too!
Power of Protein
Protein is an important component of every cell in the body. Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues. You also use protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood.
- 3 Mashed Bananas
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
- ¼ Cup of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 Cup of Rice Protein Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Raw Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold into the mixture.
- Place the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- You will know the bread has completely cooked when a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool and serve!
Protein isn’t as easily or quickly converted as carbohydrates or fat, because the thermic effect (the amount of energy require to digest, absorb, transport and store protein) is a lot higher than that of carbohydrates and fat.
In other words, your body has to work harder. This is what makes eating a diet that emphasizes quality protein optimal for body composition and fat loss.
Prep Ahead Tip
My best advice with healthy eating is to always be prepared. Whipping up a batch of these banana bread babies for the week is a great way to stack the odds in your favor. Toss one or two in your bag and off you go. Snack or breakfast. You can roll either way…
Your TBE Emails
Are you subscribed to my email updates? If not, you should be – hint, hint. TBE updates will be sent weekly instead of daily moving forward. Less clutter in the inbox!
If you happen to make this banana protein bread take a kitchen pic and tag me on Instagram @thebikiniexperiment. I love to see what you’re up to!
Other Gluten-Free Recipes:
How About You?
- Love or hate bananas?
- Ever use protein powder in your baking?