Happy National Blueberry Pancake Day! Lets’s celebrate with a blueberry pancake that is high in protein, gluten-free, and dairy-free. No fancy equipment required in your kitchen. Grab your mixing bowl!
National Blueberry Pancake Day
Happy National Blueberry Pancake Day! Did you know there is a whole word of national food holidays out there? Blueberry pancakes gets their very own mention. There is nothing like a lazy weekend morning that starts with a meal that is healthy and sweet at the same time.
Pancakes for Breakfast
I bet you are thinking – wait, pancakes can be healthy? It’s really a true thing. You always have the option to substitute baking flour with protein powder. This way you are turning a high carb source into a valuable source of protein. Win-win.
However, not everyone enjoys that option. Many people dislike the taste or consistency of protein powder. If it’s not your thing I totally understand.
There are amazing options in alternative flours out there. Almond flour has become quite popular and is very versatile.
These flours are derived from substances other than wheat. Wheat is often very processed, and not a quality food source.
Almond flour in particular is highly nutritious, easy to use and readily available. It is higher in protein than many other flours, low in carbohydrates and low in sugars.
- 2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Arrowroot Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 Pasture Raised Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (melted)
- ½ Cup Frozen Organic Blueberries
- Mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately.
- Once complete, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Add more as the flour mixture is completely folded in.
- Add the blueberries (defrost and drain)
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat on the stove.
- Add about ⅓ cup of the batter to make each individual pancake.
- Cook 4-5 minutes and then flip to cook 4-5 minutes more.
I use blanched (almonds that have had their skin removed) almond flour. This is common in many almond flour based recipes. My other tip is to buy almond flour in bulk whenever you can. Individual bags at the grocery store can add up very quickly in cost. Since it is a quality item it will be a little more pricey than traditional flour. The health trade-off is worth it here.
If you want to be super on top of your game you can always prep this recipe the night! Take out the batter, crank up the stove, and your pancakes will ready in a matter of minutes. Top your pancakes with Greek yogurt, additional blueberries, and a touch of maple syrup.
These delicious cakes get nice and tender during the cooking process. Virtual high five for a holiday that celebrates with easy pancakes.
How About You?
- Are you celebrating National Blueberry Pancake Day?
- Yay or nay to a blueberry pancake?